A B O U T P E R R Y P R E S B Y T E R I A N
W H A T W E B E L I E V E
Welcome to the website of the Perry Presbyterian Church, PCA of Perry, Georgia. We appreciate your interest in our church and ministries. Our church was constituted as a Presbyterian church on April 25, 1847. Since then we have had a consistent witness in Houston County and to the ends of the earth.
The mission of Perry Presbyterian Church is to glorify God by making disciples who love God; love one another and who reach their world with the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Word of God tells us “Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.” (Colossians 1:28) What do we mean by that? At least five things:
Committed to the Bible
First, we are committed to the Bible, God’s inerrant and infallible word, as the final authority for faith and life. We view the faithful preaching (and hearing) of God’s Word as essential to growth and maturity in the Christian life.
Committed to the Reformed Faith
Second, we are committed to the Reformed Faith, as set forth in the historic Westminster Confession of faith and Catechisms (Shorter and longer). This is the best known of the seventeenth century Protestant statements of faith. The doctrine of grace of our confession are beloved to Reformed Christians because they are biblical and emphasize the sovereignty of God in salvation. (Ephesians 2:8&9) We rejoice in and proclaim the God who saves sinners!
Committed to the Great Commission
Third, proclaiming Christ means we are committed to the Great Commission. We support more than 30 missionaries and evangelists at home and abroad. We believe that the gospel is the “power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16) and we proclaim Christ.
Committed to Christian Fellowship
Fourth, we are committed to the biblical teaching of the communion of saints. As a church we seek to foster real Christian fellowship, mutual concern and biblical love in the life of our congregation.
Committed to God-Sent Revival
Finally, like our forebears, we believe that the only hope for the world is the spiritual regeneration of souls through the work of the Spirit of God. We pray fervently for God-sent revival in our lives, our church, our city and the world. (Titus 3:5&6)
As a member congregation of the
Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), Perry
Presbyterian Church is a confessional
church, fully committed to living out in
today's context the rich theology, piety, and
practice of the historic Christian faith
recovered at the Protestant Reformation, and
best summarized in the Westminster
Confession of Faith.
Below we offer a brief summary of our convictions:
We believe that the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, infinite and unchanging, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Man and Sin
We believe that all people are sinners by nature, are guilty in God’s sight, and are totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure. His free grace alone provides a way of salvation.
We believe that this salvation is the work of God alone. He sovereignly chooses whom He will save. We believe that His choice is based solely on His grace, not on any merit found in his people, their foreseen faith, or their religious activity.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect obedience and sacrificial death as the representative and substitute of his people, atoned for the sins of all who would trust in Him alone for salvation.
We believe that the only way to acceptance with God is by God’s grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone.
God's Covenant Promises
We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His covenant promises.
We believe that the church is the covenant community of God and the sphere within which the grace of God is available to all, through the preaching and teaching of the Bible, and the administration of the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Outside the church there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.
The Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and enables them to trust Christ and follow Him. Faith is the gracious gift of God.
Perseverance of the Saints
We believe that having come to saving faith in Christ, believers can never be lost, but persevere to the end, being kept by the power of God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. This perseverance is both the responsibility of every believer, and the infallible promise of God to all his people.
The Return of Christ
We believe that Jesus will return at the last day, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself.
Living the Christian Life
We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ as we wait for the day of his glorious appearing.
By order of the Presbytery of Flint
River, a few members of the
Presbyterian Church of Houston
County met in the Methodist
Church in Perry on April 25, 1847 to
constitute themselves a Presbyterian
Church. On the following day, Sunday,
the church was constituted in a formal
manner; elders were elected and ordained; and the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper was administered. There were twelve members.
The first services were held in the Baptist Church until September 22, 1849, when a one-room frame structure was completed. This building was located across from the Methodist Church. This building, after undergoing several renovations and add-ons was moved to its present location in 1958. The Education Building was completed in 1960. The original 150 year old original building served as the Sanctuary until
August 29, 1999 when the congregation held the first service in the new Sanctuary.
A new educational building was built in 2008. It was dedicated on November 9th, 2008.